Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Cast Part 3...........My Dear Sweet Mom


Under normal circumstances, when one hears the phrase "God's gift" it has an immediate, negative connotation, but there is no other explanation for such an amazing being in the Lord's own likeness than my mother. It is now March 22nd and with your birthday being tomorrow there is not a birthday card that could even come close to expressing my love or gratitude for the joy you have shared with me all my life. For this reason I shall take a stab at an open birthday card:

For someone who has never had to work, you are the hardest working female I have ever met in my life. If I were a boss and were evaluating your performance you would far exceed expectations, because while you did the normal mommy things like get us ready for school every day, you always went above and beyond. Like when you used to warm my shirts over the stove on cold morning so my clothes were nice toasty (We live in Southern California for Pete's sake, how spoiled was I?) You didn't teach us about family, charity and the importance of unconditional love to prepare us for the world; we learned, because it is how you live every day of your life and inspired us to fall in line. You are the most selfless person I have ever encountered by a mile and God bless your humble heart and soul Mom.

It fills my heart with overwhelming happiness to know you belong to this family, and at the same time I want nothing more than to share you with everyone else so they can get even a glimpse at what I have come to know. You were a mother to my sisters and I and then when we got older, you became a mom and a mentor to our friends. Then you gracefully slipped into grand motherhood and bestowed your love on a new generation. Just when you think there is no where left to go, I realize that life has come full circle and watching you take care of my grandparents is truly admirable. I watch you now warm my grandpas pjs before he goes to bed at night and I am constantly amazed, it melts my heart and I am honored to bare witness to that kind of love.

At the end of the day, I think that what is most impressive is that it all comes from your enormously pure heart. You don't anything, because you have to, you do things because it is the right thing to do and I know you were put on this earth to set that example. Don't think for a second that I don't know that when you blew out your candle tonight that whatever wish was on your heart, that you probably made a wish for someone else.

Mom, thank you, thank you, thank you for being such a stellar example of a true humanitarian; there is not a gift or words that can express my gratitude for all of the gems you have provided for me and my charmed life. All I can say (as I wrap up on my tear filled keyboard) is that I love you with all of my heart, I am humbled to be a part of your life and if I can accomplish only the tiniest portion of what you have in my life then I will have been a success.

Love always,

Your number 1 son,

J.R.

Oh Wait.....Happy Birthday =)

No comments:

Post a Comment